Doodle's Big Girl Bedroom Reveal!

I've already posted most of the projects, so I just thought I'd share some photos of her finished bedroom.  It's been done for a couple weeks, but I've been puttering on her lamp all this time.  Really quickly before the overall room photos, here's the scoop on the lamp that took me forever...but honestly I think it's my favorite project of all time.  And I finished it just in time for her 3rd birthday!

It is a $3.99 thrift store electroplated faux brass disaster - so ugly that the cashier at the thrift store raised an eyebrow in judgement when I asked to pay for it, which is pretty bad considering all the nasty stuff they probably see at thrift stores!!  I stripped it down to chrome and steel with oven cleaner and Blue Magic metal polish.  That was already a pretty cool improvement and a process I'd consider for future brass plate projects!  But to that, I added gobs and gobs of old vintage costume jewelry from all sides of the family.  The bulk of it is courtesy of Grandma McDavid who had a stash of old family baubles, but there's a few pieces from Auntie Ashley, Mammy, and my own double strand swarovski crystal necklace I wore to our wedding is on there too.  :)  I did supplement with a few filler pieces of $1 "pearl" strands and a $5 Wal-Mart statement necklace, but it's at least 80% family jewelry which I just think is really special whether you like the finished look or not!  The reason it took so long is I used E6000 adhesive, which was a good choice for all the materials, but with the weight of each strand, I had to apply jewelry one row at a time and let it cure, sometimes a partial row at a time if it was really heavy.  It doesn't cure instantly so I had to just apply, walk away, and come back later.  You guys know I like plowing through projects so this was hard for me!!

This will be embarrassing if you don't share my enthusiasm but I think it looks like a million bucks... or close to a thousand at least.  I bet somebody somewhere would pay a LOT of money for this!!!  But 'somebody', if you're reading this, I'm sorry - you can't have it!!!!!  Doodle and I love it too much.  Without further rambling, I present our jewelry-covered bling lamp masterpiece!



Here's the brass monstrosity before - the picture is overly kind in this case:






































and then after stripping the finish with Ez Off oven cleaner and Blue Magic metal polish:





































and the lamp completely bedazzled with family jewelry:
















































































































The shade is just a basic new white corner-cut square with a roll of glimmer tulle and some sparkly silver trim:


























And now for her finished bedroom photos.  It's not the free-spirited boho chic room I had originally pictured in my mind for her, but doodle's got an opinion now.  Her opinion is generally that everything is better if it's pink.  So her room is mostly pink and it's almost as sweet as she is.

Here's a reminder of the blank slate she's lived in for a year!  Greige walls, and no furniture besides her toddler bed!  It was sad and dull for such a bright, happy girl.









The walls are painted with a 50/50 mix of Waterscape and Dewy (one shade lighter than Waterscape) which are Sherwin Williams colors but matched in Behr Ultra Premium Plus, my very favorite for walls.  I planned to use the leftover gallon of paint from the office, but the color looked more saturated in her bedroom than it does in our office, so I bought 1 gallon of the lighter shade on the same color card and just mixed them in a 5 gallon bucket.  It came out exactly how I wanted it!





























This is a plastic frame from Ikea spray painted pink - no dangerous glass!!


This is a candle lantern from Ikea that was already the perfect shade of pink.  I started by removing all the glass panes and then just stared at it for a while to figure out how I could use it in her room.  It looked like a birdcage to me, so I made a little bird to put in there out of scrap fabric - if you look closely you'll see some of the same fabrics from my craft room patchwork curtains.  :)  The legs are floral wire wrapped in grosgrain ribbon!

I bought these chalkboard signs a long time ago at Kirkland's on sale and didn't end up using them in the foyer as I had planned and stumbled on them in my storage closet at the perfect time.  "Have courage and be kind" are the key sentiments from the new Cinderella remake which, as a mom, I think is a million percent better than the old "someday my prince will come" Disney style, right??  This was a 10 minute project.



Here's a list of "stuff" that went into the room:

DIY PROJECTS:
Refinished dresser
Refinished vanity
Refinished family trunk
White ruffle coverlet ( just stitched 2 full flat sheets together with a ruffle sandwich between at the edges)
White ruffle shams (made from leftover sheeting from the coverlet project)
Ruffle curtains inspired by Anthropologie Wandering Pleat curtains
Cinderella-inspired "Have courage and be kind" artwork
Pottery Barn Teen-inspired "I love you" wood painting with frame (i like mine better than PB!)
Lamp makeover
Small stuffed birdie from scrap fabric

PURCHASES:
* Chelsea Quilt in Periwinkle - Pottery Barn Kids
* Cherie metal headboard - Overstock.com
* White gathered cotton voile 18" drop bed skirt with liner - Overstock.com
* Gallery Versailles Wrought Iron and Crystal Chandelier - Overstock.com  ( I spray painted the candle covers off white to lighten up this chandelier - it comes with black candleholders that were just too heavy/goth for me.  I could have purchased covers cheap too, but already had these in the right size and the spray paint got the job done)
* Black sequin dress form for jewelry display - Hobby Lobby - I just unscrewed the stand it was on to shorten it and make it less likely to tip over.
* Photo frames - White frames from Ikea spray painted ballet slipper pink
* Pink Ikea candle holder with glass removed - now our pretend bird cage


LEFTOVERS:
* The dress art is from her nursery and was hanging before she was even born.
* Mirror nightstand leftover from our old master bedroom (originally from Target I think??)
* Little Castle Nursery Glider from her original nursery (fabric is Ophelia Dove)


So there you have her bedroom. I'm debating whether the wall needs something above her headboard, and I'm also thinking about a giant fabric stuffed animal as she's completely enchanted by the stuffed dog in the window at our local "PINK" by Victoria Secret store... a similar dog or other large animal should be easy enough to DIY, right?  Although that skinny tail looks like a challenge!  Maybe a cropped tail dog.  :)




















 I've already started scheming and ordering stuff for her bathroom!!  Can't wait to get started in there!!!  Unlike her sweet cottage-style bedroom, the bathroom will be blinged out beyond all recognition!  The accent wall tile arrives tomorrow... the question is whether it will sit in the box until the weekend or if we'll be pulling an all-nighter.  lol  I know I'd put my money on an all nighter.  

Comments